Title: Product Manager (Applications Engineer)
Job Summary: Manage commercial and technical aspects of a scientific instrumentation product line. Work with clients and product development teams to define and create industry leading imaging, light source, measurement and spectroradiometric instrument solutions for precise and demanding scientific, technical and production applications.
Location: Orlando, FL (Factory) – No relocation funds allocated
Status: Requires US citizenship or permanent residency
Minimum Education Level: Bachelors degree in a technical field and relevant experience
Employment Type: Full Time/Permanent
Position Type: Mid-career
Travel Required: Up to 25% Travel Required
Job Function: Engineering/Sales
Industry/Interest Area(s): Optics, photonics, imaging, spectroradiometry and applications
Reporting directly to the Senior Vice-President, Life Sciences and Instrumentation, this key contributor will work with our potential and existing clients, through direct and indirect channels, to meet their precision light measurement needs with Gooch and Housego’s industry leading solutions and expertise.
As the customer’s point of contact and voice, the candidate must be able to provide applications assistance, product support and sales of Gooch and Housego’s products and services to technical buyers. This includes responding to tenders, RFPs, RFQs, generating contracts, bid proposals and supporting the negotiation and closing sales with our distributors and representatives. The Product Manager is expected to follow up on quotations, drive processing of orders and maintain adequate records to document price quotations, decisions, progress and results of activity. The product manager will also be responsible for defining new products based on market knowledge, creating a marketing specification and working with engineering to drive development and release to market as well as managing custom or OEM product development to meet customer requirements.
They will use available resources such as sales leads, literature, samples and demos, telephones, Internet and email, computers and support staff and services to produce the most effective results and exercise strong administrative, organizational and communication skills. In addition, the Product Manager will be responsible for:
- Organizing workshops and demonstrations
- Monitoring daily/monthly orders and provide information in regards to account details
- Expansion sales channels to increase market penetration in designated product areas and markets
- Attaining maximum sales and appropriate product mix
- Uncovering new sales opportunities through cold calling, networking and other proven marketing strategies
- Watching for and identifying new markets
- Setting and achieving established sales goals
- Developing thorough knowledge of all frequently encountered applications and their appropriate solutions for which related products are required
- Reporting significant changes or trends in area sales, interpreting customer needs into new product definitions and driving development
- Providing feedback on product quality, needs, competition, business trends and unique product applications to management team
- Completing any required reports
- Maintaining files and records of customer names, orders and locations
- Developing strategic marketing plan and coordinate the sales activities in conjunction with Engineering and Operations to achieve stated goals
Minimum Desired Qualifications:
A Bachelors degree in engineering, physics or equivalent and a minimum of 4 years experience or a graduate degree in engineering, computer science, physics or equivalent and a minimum of 2 years of applicable experience required. Also requires knowledge and experience with precision, light measurement systems. Proficient use of personal computers: Mac, Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.
Must demonstrate the ability to simplify problems, articulate solutions, lead and delegate, have excellent communication skills and be a highly motivated team oriented self-starter. Travel required up to 30%.
Must be a US citizen or permanent resident.
Prior product and/or program management experience and certification. Experience with agile scrum and project management, versioning and related tools (i.e. MS/ Project, Jira, Asana, GitHub, etc…).
Salary will be based upon background and experience. Gooch and Housego offers competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefit package including tuition reimbursement, 401(k) plan and more. Gooch and Housego is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Gooch and Housego (Orlando)
4632 36th Street,
Orlando, FL 32811